Thursday 14 August 2014

In The Spotlight

In The Spotlight today is Hazel, one of the founders of our group. Hazel is an inspirational teacher and also runs regular pop-up shops offering us all the chance to feed our quilty habit.  If you visit her website, Cotton Cocktails, you can find out about the courses and workshops Hazel is holding, and you can also find the date of the next shop day, and even download price lists.  I hope you enjoy reading Hazel's answers to my questions and maybe learning something new about her.

Who/what inspired you to start quilting? 
I’d done lots of sewing, knitting, crochet, cross stitch etc and I bought a few quilting magazines but never had a go until I saw a beginner class advertised at Samuel Taylors which used to be on Meanwood Road. I made my first quilt and was hooked!

What do you love most about quilting?
I like everything about it! I love playing with colour and shapes and the actual process of sewing a quilt and seeing it develop. It’s brilliant because there is always something new to try.

Of the quilts you have made, which is your favourite, and why?
My favourite is a very classic looking blue and white 2 block quilt with Ohio stars and a chain block. It’s special because I made it for my dear departed brother who loved it.

What is your favourite technique, ie hand or machine sewing, appliqué, quilting, etc?
It’s hard to choose! I like easy piecing because it grows quickly, machine appliqué with blanket stitch edges but my favourite is probably free motion quilting because it can transform a quilt.

What new techniques do you hope to conquer in the future?
I haven’t anything in particular in mind at the moment but there’s always something new around the corner. That’s the brilliant thing about quilting.

Do you use patterns or make it up as you go along?
I sometimes start with a pattern but often change it in some way. I use Electric Quilt to plan most of my quilts and can’t imagine how I’d manage without it.

Would you describe your quilting style as scrappy or controlled?
I like to be in control! Scrappy quilts don’t really appeal to me as much as ones with a definite colour scheme. I like bright clear colours with lots of contrast to show up the designs.

When you’re starting a new project, do you have the design all worked out (on computer/paper/in your mind) before you start?
I do pretty much have the design worked out but will often leave decisions about the fabrics for the sashing, borders, and binding until I get to that stage. I can then try out what looks good before I cut and sew them in place.

Do you like using pre-cuts such as FQ bundles, jelly rolls, layer cakes or charm packs?
I do like pre-cuts as they’re a quick way to get started on a project and a good way to buy lots of coordinating fabrics in one go. I do think it’s a good idea to buy one or two of the fabrics in a larger amount at the same time to put aside for borders etc  as they often aren’t easy to find at a later date.

Do you have any advice for someone just starting out on their quilting adventure?
Join a class so you can learn the basics from someone who has previously made all the mistakes for you! Quilters love to share their hints and tips so quilting in a group is the best way to go.

Do you have a favourite quilt book?  If so, why is it your favourite?
I have a very large collection of quilting books which I add to all the time and I don’t really have one particular favourite.

In the quilt world, who do you find is a real inspiration to you?
I really admire Philippa Naylor's work and she is an inspirational teacher.

Can we see photos of three of your quilts, one early, one recent and one somewhere in the middle?                      

1 comment:

  1. thanks Sue for sharing Hazel`s quilting world with us, see you all tomorrow

    ReplyDelete